Thursday, October 8, 2009

From the Semi-Homemade Cookbook: Bacon Wrapped Jalapenos & French Onion Soup

This is my view from the kitchen. Looking down. On G-man. As he gets more.....

.....and more upset......
....while I'm working on.....


French Onion Soup... I think ended up trying this one... or a combination of this one and a couple other ones from foodnetwork.com. IF you use this one (I modified it a bit but it was yummy... or what we could taste of it before we burned our mouths on jalapenos, anyway...) but please note that one cup of wine is NOT usually half the bottle, as stated in the recipe. Unless you already drank half the bottle, while sauteeing the onions. Which I say is a good practice.

....And while Mr. Fix-It is working on semi-homemade jalapeno goodness.

Seriously, do you need the recipe? Split open jalapenos (these are fresh from Mr. Fix-It's dad's garden and some of them were SPI-CEEEY!)
Clean out all the seeds. Or you'll be sorry.


Put a chunk of cream cheese (more, if they're super spicy peppers like ours were!) inside the jalapeno and wrap in bacon. Use cheap bacon here... yes, cheap bacon. Or in the least, THINLY sliced bacon. It grills better... Hold it all together with a toothpick and throw it on the grill. These are THE BEST for tailgating!

And a newly discovered Semi-Homemade dessert you must try..... okay, anyone who knows me knows that my absolute fav dessert is brownies. And now Pillsbury has totally read my mind. Brownie Minis! See, if there's a pan of brownies, I'll eat...... say, for example...... the whole pan. But with these, you can make a tray of just 6 mini-brownies. And 3 of them is only 150 cal! (So, even if you screw up, the worst you can do is 300 calories!) Finally, someone gets me!

7 comments:

c o u r t n e y said...

Oh my gosh! Yummmmmmm!!!! All 3 are my faves!
Those Jalapeno treats look delish! But I am loving the brownies! Totally getting those ( after Maui trip, when I can go another 6 months without being in a swimsuit! ). Thanks for the great tips once again!! You rock!

Natalie said...

The bacon wrapped peppers are a staple at our house. We can no longer go to any group function without bringing them. And yes, the cheap bacon is a MUST. We add chili powder & garlic to our softened cream cheese before stuffing the peppers. They're ohsoyummy!

MissBliss said...

wow! total deliciousness!

Mr. Wonderful is all about jalapeno yumminess like this...we will have to try.

I made the mistake of looking at the brownie picture while in the office and far from any brownies!

I am also an advocate of drinking some wine while cooking... ;)

Have a great day, Elaine!

Unknown said...

Those jalepenos look amazing!

lovelock&co said...

How awesome! I found your blog through Kelly's Korner! I make those Bacon Wraps all the time!!! :) Your kids are adorable!

Maryanna said...

I made these jalapeno poppers in the oven. You're right... they are delicious. My peppers came from my grandfather's garden, and some of them were spicy, too.

Nicolita Love said...

good lord those jalapeno treats look amazing!

Related Posts with Thumbnails