Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Working Momma has Big News!


So, for some big news and one of the reasons I was feeling stressed/whiney yesterday..... I'VE BEEN PROMOTED!!

And while I'm really trying hard to see only the good in it, the truth is, this is less than the great news it would seem to be. Now, before I sound like one of those 'glass half empty' types, let me explain....

The good: I'll now have a Senior in front of my title. Honestly, I've never been a title whore, especially not since I became a working momma, so it's not that important to me. But nice, I guess, especially for the recognition. I also got a raise! And we all know how hard that is to come by in this economy. Especially in retail. Geez.

Now, the less than good.... (See, I didn't say 'the bad'.... that has to count for something, right?)
So, let me explain a little.... each 'team' is set up with 3 different organizations, all which are a system of checks and balances. Each team has 2 leaders, but when it comes down to it, the ultimate responsibility is on one person. Let's call her the President. That makes me - the other leader - the Vice Pres. We should keep the team working towards a common goal, working a strategy within our finanical boundaries, etc, etc.
The new Pres I'm going to work with has a reputation for being hard to work with - it's no secret. Her people will say upfront that they don't feel valued. I'll be her 3rd VP in less than 2 years - and both the girls before me left because of her. I'm being put on this team because I have a way of being direct, of instilling discipline and process, all the while being friendly and easy to get along with. I'm influential. At least this is what the higher ups (both mine and the boss of this new Pres) have told me.

Do you feel the pressure? The stress? Did I mention that this is a highly visible business with lots of (bigwig) eyes watching it? OMG, somebody take my blood pressure....

Oh, and the team complains there is no work/life balance. This is probably #1 on my list of most sensitive topics as a working mommy. I must have work/life balance; I insist on it. I know I'll have to put in long hours at first, but then 50 hrs/wk is my absolute limit. That doesn't even take into account the 7 hrs/wk commute I have. But again, this is another reason I've been put on this team. My time is valuable. I will not waste it. Being efficient, finding faster ways to do things, cutting out things that aren't working - that is what I do. But it'll take some time to get the ball rolling...

This job isn't my dream job.... maybe at some point I'll be able to discuss that later - it would be an entirely New Life Plan and I need to read up on that way of thinking. But for now, I'm happy to be promoted and I'm going to try to roll with the new situation.

And another reason I was so whiney yesterday? I hadn't jogged in 9 DAYS! I only jogged a couple of miles last night, but what a stress reliever! Remind me of that the next time I try to skip my workout. Time will be tight as I'm transitioning into my new job, but I must find the time to jog! Oh, and maybe another reason? As relaxing as our Easter weekend was, that drive to my inlaws is 6 hrs each way! Getting home at 7pm on a Sunday is a quick way to stress a working momma out! Especially this one, who usually uses Sun to do a million loads of laundry, cook 2 dinners, and get everything ready for a busy week!

More on our Easter later. And don't worry, I won't bother you with every little detail. Maybe just a semi-homemade activity or 2. And some fun Easter basket goodies and a couple pics.

Oh, and those file folders at the top of this rambling? I'm just kidding. Kind of. I do like my boss though. I was just looking thru fun office products (at Spoon Sisters, click on the pic if you must have them). ;) And then I found this one and it might just apply....

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, at least on the $$$ AND the great reviews from all of those higher-ups :) Good luck with the balancing -- please share any tips you learn along the way for those of us who will be in that spot in life before long! :)

Sasha said...

Congrats! If anyone can figure out how to balance it all, it'll be you! I know you were chosen for the job for a reason- because you'll do great!

Becky said...

Wow, congratulations! It feels good to be recognized, both financially and also by praise from higher-ups. I totally agree about how important work/life balance is and I'm sure you will find a way to make it work!

Maybe one day soon you'll become President yourself, and that will solve the Presidential problem. =)

Related Posts with Thumbnails