1. Veterans and all current military rock! Can you imagine the world without them? I say.... if it's possible, hug a Vet today. The above is a picture of one of my favorite vets of all time.... Grandpa G (who we almost named G-man after.... in the end we stuck with the 'G' as a nod to him.) He was a true hero. He was a veteran of World War II, and retired as a Colonel. He was also an admired and accomplished professor at Kansas State University and a published engineer. I wish he was around so I could give him a big hug!
2. It's a great chance to learn our country's history and get involved in our community. Dwight D. Eisenhower issued the first Veteran's Day Proclamation in 1954. He asked Americans to "solemnly remember the sacrifices of all those who fought so valiantly, on the seas, in the air, and on foreign shores, to preserve our heritage of freedom, and let us re-consecrate ourselves to the task of promoting an enduring peace so that their efforts shall not have been in vain."
We have so much to thank them for. Most the Dallas suburbs are having their own celebrations, ceremonies, and parades. What a great time to get involved in your community by attending a local celebration!
3. It's a great chance to teach our kids! There are so many fun veteran's day crafts & activities you can do with your kiddos. We're going to try a couple of these out this weekend (better late than never - they're having a ceremony at school today to tide them over!)
I know Big Sis will love these printable Veteran's Day coloring pages. I can totally see some of this art looking great on my walls at the office.
You can also grab word searches and other activities for an age range of kids here.
Sending a care package to the troops is another idea I love as a way to celebrate today's holiday.
4. It's a great day to shop! All major retailers have special sales today, including all my favorites. Most sales are also occuring online if you're like me and too busy to get out and actually shop.
5. It's a great day to skip the office and hang out with your family. I'm at work, but so many places around here are closed.... it's not me, but someone around here has the day off, that's for sure!
Happy Veteran's Day!