Okay, first off.... let's settle one question. I am, most definitely, NOT pregnant.
Why are baby names so fascinating? Why do I know a couple dozen girlfriends who will happily discuss their fav names, regardless of status - pregnant momma-to-be, hopeful future momma, single crazy gal, newly married bride, or mom of many kiddos?
My inspiration to talk baby names? ivillage must know of our obsession and has published the Top 10 Baby Name Trends of 2010 (but you know I'm just gonna pick my favorites to share with you!) They say that after a year of over-the-top baby names, "tradition will become the trend." So.... come chat with me and share YOUR fav names!
1. Virtue names. These names are a comfort after a year filled with scandal (think Tiger Woods!) and recession (boo!).
~~Trendy names: Hope, Grace, Honor, True
~~My take: I've always loved names like Hope (I started watching Days of Our Lives when I was 6!), Faith and Grace!
2. Olympic names. So many cool ways to go with this - have you always loved Russian names? Pay attention to the athletes from that country. Have a favorite vacation spot, honeymoon location or dream destination? There will be cool & exotic names everywhere!
~~Trendy names: Apolo, Tucker
~~My take: The 2008 summer games started 8 days after G-man was born and I used to joke that I'd seen more olympics than anyone (they'd air the most obscure olympian sports between 1-6am!) And Tucker was on MY list with G-man...
3. Bird Names. The cutesy bedroom decor theme has crossed over to baby names!
~~Trendy names: Lark, Sparrow, Wren
~~My take: While I love owls and birdies (I mean, you've seen Big Sis's room, right?), but I'm not sure I'm so 'wild' about this trend. Except Arden - what a cute name!
4. Vampire Mania Names.Or obsession. Seriously, as the wife of a True Blood fan, I can tell you that this vampire stuff is everywhere.
~~Trendy names: Bella, Edward, Rosalie, Sookie
~~My take: Seriously? Sookie? Um.... I probably stand alone on this one, but I draw the line here and say the vampire stuff is out.of.control.
5. Trade Names. Also known as: my favorite category of names for boys. Ever. Love them. (Love these and 'last names as first names!')
~~Trendy names: Cooper, Jagger, Mason, Sawyer, Porter, Gardener, Carter
~~My take: Most these names were on my list with G-man. Okay, except Gardener. I had to be talked out of naming G-man Fisher. And Baker. But don't think I won't try to sneak a few of these names on our list next time around....
What are your kids' names? Future kiddo's names? Fav new trendy names? Family names? I'm always adding to my list.... for the distant, distant future. ;)
And tonight I pause in memory of Anna.... truly an inspirational momma... part of a family of moms I've known for almost 5 yrs....who helped me thru my first pregnancy (and second!) and the trials of being a new mommy. She is gone too soon and will always be remembered....